What is Windows Sandbox? How to Activate it?
Windows Sandbox is a feature introduced by Microsoft since Windows 10 version 1903. Utilizing this feature lets you have a virtual computer inside a computer. Some users may not be aware of this hidden feature of Windows OS, so how to access this feature? What is the purpose?
WHAT IS WINDOWS SANDBOX
Windows Sandbox is a temporary lightweight desktop environment that can run Windows applications safely in an isolated space. Applications installed in the Windows sandbox will remain sandboxed and run separately from the primary host machine. So, whatever happens in the Sandbox will stay there, so your main host machine will remain 100% safe.
Since the Sandbox is a temporary instance of your primary host machine, when the Sandbox is closed, all data (software, data, files, and status) contained in the corresponding Sandbox will immediately delete or not saved. Every time a user opens a Sandbox, the user will get a completely new instance (virtual machine). In this Sandbox, users can experiment with any Windows application/data they want without the risk of damaging the main host machine.
Windows Sandbox is used to (usually):
- Checking for malware
- Testing software
- Surfing the internet
- Downloading files
- Experimenting with Windows settings
Minimum System Requirement:
- Windows 10 build 1903 or later, Windows 11
- Windows Pro, Enterprise or Education edition
- ARM64 (for Windows 11, version 22H2 and later) or AMD64 architecture
- Minimum 4 GB RAM (8GB Recommended)
- 1 GB free disk available (SSD recommended)
- Minimum 2 CPU cores (Recommended four cores with hyper-threading)
- Virtualization already enabled in BIOS
HOW TO ENABLE WINDOWS SANDBOX
- Make sure that the Virtualization feature is Enabled.
The easiest way to check this section is to open the Task Manager --> Performance --> CPU.
If it is inactive, you must enable this feature via BIOS.
- Open the Start Menu.
- Type 'Turn Windows features on or off' and open the feature.
- Enable the 'Virtual Machine Platform' and 'Windows Sandbox' options.
- Press OK and wait for the process to finish, then restart your computer.
You can open Windows Sandbox in the start menu, type 'Windows Sandbox' and open the feature. Now you can experiment with this virtual machine (Sandbox). It might feel like you're using the primary host machine, but you're not. You are using a virtual machine with elevated privileges in an isolated environment, so whatever you do to this feature will not affect the main host machine.
Please know that whatever happens and will store in the Sandbox is only temporary. Remember that the data will not be stored anywhere else on your main host machine for future use. Before closing the Sandbox, you should make sure that you don't store anything significant in the Sandbox that you might need later.
Want to know more information, please visit our website at:
Don't forget to follow our other social media
Instagram : hdnmetatech
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/company/herdina-metatech-sinergi-corp
Facebook : Herdina Metatech Sinergi Corp